While most of us look forward to Friday each week, in Manteo, NC, locals and visitors alike are even more excited for the first Friday of each month (Apr – Dec) when Manteo’s vibrant downtown celebrates the area’s unique and appealing businesses, restaurants, and galleries. During First Friday festivities, the sidewalks are lined with live music, magicians, artisans, a rock-climbing wall, period-dress actors representing area historic attractions, and so much more. Many restaurants and shops stay open late offering special sales, unique merchandise, light refreshments, or mini-celebrations of their own. As you stroll along Sir Walter Raleigh Street, Queen Elizabeth Avenue, and Budleigh Street, the tantalizing aromas from Manteo’s diverse waterfront eateries will lure you right in through their doors. Here are a few of the participating shops and restaurants you won’t want to miss:
- That Art Place – A unique shop selling “art, riff raff, and thingamajigs,” providing something for everyone.
- Charis Coffee Co. – “Coffee with a Cause” as 10% of their total sales are donated to a deserving organization. Enjoy hot and cold coffees and teas, smoothies, tasty specialty drinks, bagels, and cinnamon buns.
- Shut the Barn Door – Vintage store that sells a variety of unique treasures including décor, jewelry, restored and handcrafted pieces of furniture, and more.
- Downtown Books – An independent and eclectic book store where you may also encounter a notable author on site signing books or even an adorable foster kitty in need of adoption.
- Outer Banks Distilling – From “molasses to glasses,” this distillery offers tours, recipes, a gift shop, and delicious rum.
- Charlotte’s – A full service boutique selling ladies traditional fashions with a contemporary flair where you will find everything from every day casual to formal attire. Personal shopping, home delivery, gift certificates, alterations, and free gift wrapping services make this a must-stop shop.
- Avenue Grill OBX – Offers casual dining overlooking Shallowbag Bay and the Manteo Marina with a menu that features local seafood, all natural proteins, craft beers on tap, and a dynamic wine list. Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free cuisine options available.
- Ortega’z Southwestern Grill & Wine Bar – Offering scrumptious southwestern starters, soups and salads, street tacos and wraps, sizzling fajitas, entrée’s, and more.
- Poor Richard’s Sandwich Shop – Where you can sink your teeth into savory sandwiches made with the highest quality meats and cheeses while feasting your eyes on the stunning Manteo waterfront views.
After a fun and fabulous First Friday, come back to the White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast. Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Manteo, just steps from the festivities, you will discover superior service, warm hospitality, luxurious amenities, and delectable cuisine. Book your favorite room today!